Madison Sourdough will be offering a rotating selection of specialty breads previously only available at our bakery. Some of the breads listed we are currently baking, some are from the past, others have yet to be made. Each week you and your family will receive a loaf of bread, available in a small or large portion along with your weekly selection of fruits and veggies. This “bread box” is available for purchase at King’s Hill Farm and Equinox Community Farm. For more information on the pricing, pick up days and times, and availability, please contact the farm you wish to order from. Below is a list of the different breads on offer and a brief description.
*All breads are naturally leavened with sourdough starters made from organic wheat or rye depending on the bread.
**All breads unless noted are available in 2lb or 1lb options.
1) Sprouted Rye: A high percentage whole grain rye bread packed with sprouted rye berries. This bread develops a natural malt sweetness from the sprouted grains and freshly milled flour from Lonesome Stone Milling. Expect a deeply caramelized crust balanced by a dense moist crumb. This bread is highly nutritious and should be eaten in thin slices and paired with other robust flavors.
Ingredients: Organic stone ground rye, water, wheat flour, organic sprouted rye berries, salt.
2.5 lbs or 1.25 lbs options
2) Miche: An uncompromising loaf; it comes large, it is baked dark, and its flavor is bold. Our Miche is a Wisconsin interpretation of a classic French country bread highlighting Lonesome Stone Mill and Wisconsin grown hard red spring wheat. The bread is designed for keeping quality, with increased acidity, high hydration, and long bake times for a thick crust or “rind.” Ingredients: Unbleached wheat flour, organic stone ground wheat, organic stone ground rye, water, salt
3) Sesame Fennel: Toasted Sesame and Fennel add a nice savory dimension to this moist, open, classic sourdough. Fantastic for sandwiches and salads and makes great croutons with the bits and pieces.
Ingredients: Unbleached wheat flour, water, organic stone ground whole wheat, sesame seed, salt, fennel seed.
4) Raisin Coriander: A rich whole wheat sourdough base with plumped raisins, toasted and cracked coriander, and a pinch of orange zest. Hearty, sweet and savory, healthful.
Ingredients: Unbleached wheat flour, organic stone ground wheat, organic stone ground rye, water, raisins, salt, coriander, orange zest.
5) Hops and Malt “Beer Bread”: There is no beer added to this bread. Rather, it is a bread whose flavors are inspired by those of brewing, namely the two main ingredients, malt and hops. Expect a light, open, moist crumb flecked with sweet rye sprouts and a crisp crust all backed up by a distinct citrus hop aroma.
Ingredients: Unbleached wheat flour, organic stone ground wheat, water, sprouted rye berries, salt, Centennial and Willamette whole leaf hops.
6) Pain aux Cereales: Pain aux Cereales is a naturally leavened grain bread. Ours includes organic rye, millet, poppy seed, and cornmeal. The wheat, corn, and rye are all grown and milled in Wisconsin. The crumb is incredibly moist and tender and studded with grains and seed. My suggestion, butter!
Ingredients: Unbleached wheat flour, water, organic stone ground wheat, organic stone ground rye, organic stone ground cornmeal, millet, poppy seed, salt.
7) Durum Pavé: Durum is an old variety of hard wheat, typically used to make pasta. It has a soft, creamy texture and vibrant yellow crumb color. This is a rustic shape, the word “pavé” meaning cobblestone in French.
Ingredients: Durum, water, organic stone ground wheat, salt